Thursday, October 18, 2007

Thankfulness

I just can't believe how blessed I am. No, I'm not of millionaire status when it comes to currency, but when it comes to friends and family, I'm magnificently RICH beyond measure.
It takes real maturity to recognize all of life's blessings. Before then, we take so much for granted.
Mother Teresa said: "Be Someone for Somebody." Here the saintly Lady didn't even have a pot to pee in, but offered up herself without expecting a thing in return. Recent news has presented her as a basket case at times, questioning her belief in God. They say ( the News media ) she was forlorn, literally lost on her path with God.
Forgive me, but I say, "Hogwash."
So what?! She got weary at times. Depression sat on her chest like a camel with diarrhea. Life stunk and she felt crushed by internal sorrow. But she never stopped believing...she never stopped giving...she went forward by the Grace of God. She thanked Him daily, even though her mind questioned, reached and searched. She thanked Him through the darkness and the Light. An example for all of us.
Haven't we all had those days when dung seemed to drop out of the sky onto us? But if you stop and think...dung is a fertilizer...it produces growth. Now I don't like dung dumped or slung at me, but by golly I like growth. And sometimes growth causes us a pain in the royal butt.
I think we only get the dung treatment when we've turned our backs to the gentle ways. Sometimes we can be so hard of hearing or seeing what sits before us, that God moves us on to plan 'D' for dung. Often its at our own doing. We can be such a glutton for making our own tough times. I'm just now learning the caution signs and I keep me brakes in tip top condition. But that doesn't mean I don't trip over my own feet once in a while. You can bet I do.
I look at the food before me at every meal, just before I say my blessing, somewhat differently now. I'm thankful I don't go hungry. I'm thankful that I don't know what real hunger is. Why my meals are a bloody feast compared to what so many, near and far, from us must eat; that is if they get to eat at all on some days.
You've seen the TV ads. Children and adults alike, starving. Barely any skin attached to their skeletal frames. Can't eat a nice juicy steak or a plate of fresh veggies watching that; now can you?
Thankful, an eight lettered word so simple to say. So easily taken for granted.
You and you, and me are blessed, even when the skies are grey. Those dark clouds will go away. But as hard as it is to do, let's be thankful for the grey skies too. They provide the raindrops that water the dung, that nourishes the soils, that grows our one-of-a-kind lives. We're set free of the dung, and sprout upward in knowledge and love.
Yes, I'm a lesbian, but that's a very small part of who I am. I'm thankful that God wanted me to live. For He gave me birth; make no mistake about that. I thank Him daily.
Well, I'll stop spurting off at the mouth for now and end by saying:
I'm truly thankful for all my friends and family, and that includes the friends I've yet to meet.
Tonight, before you climb beneath the covers in your soft bed, try saying 'Thank You," to God. He'll be listening.
God Bless You All.

2 comments:

Shadi said...

"In The Name Of The Most Trustworthy"

I really enjoyed it Taylor. It made my eyes to be filled with tears. the way you talk about our relationship to God is really marvellous. There are times when i really get weary and hopeless.
Yes,there are times when i forget to see the beauty of pain.there are times when i forget to be thankful to my God.
Human being is really unthankful to his God. Human being is really forgetful.
When we are happy and everything is OK we praise God. But when it comes to sadness we often forget him.we easily lose hope and we get depressed. If we only knew he is always there for us ...if we only knew,we would never get depressed and hopeless.
We often forget his bright presence over there for us. Whether we notice him or not He is always there . in both happy moments and hard times.

Fee Amanillah
Shadi

Helen Taylor Little said...

Dear Shadi,
You've added a candle of light to my life. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!
You are a true treasure to this world.
God bless your path of Faith.
Fee Amanillah.
Waving from my distant shoreline.
Taylor