Sunday, February 3, 2008

My Proud Heritage


Look closely...this is me. Or at least a part of me. He was one of the original settlers of America. At least a drop of his blood courses through my veins. If he had not lived, I would not be here. Doesn't matter the tribe. We are all connected.
In 2005, I wrote a book titled, 'The Forest of Life.' It's a book about 'Two-Spirits.'
What's a 'Two-Spirit?'
Native Americans once revered these members of their tribe and clans. They were the embodiment of the Yin and Yang. A person that was made up of two genders. Holy people they were called before 'white man' changed the cultures and traditions of these early American settlers.
Before native lands were overtook by foreigners, 'Two-Spirits','Dual-Spirits' or 'Twin-Spirits' were honored and treated with the highest respect. Usually healers, keepers of the tales, or noted for their empowerment within their clans, they possessed a delicate balance of male and female. It was said that they had a Holy calling.
Oh...but how times have changed! Progress, though vital to society, isn't always a good thing when changes are made through those not enlighten.
Our Creator directs our steps, but it's up to us to take the steps. Sometimes we choose to go our own way. Then critical mistakes are made along life's path.
Being a lesbian 'Two-Spirit' is part of the heritage God gave me. It isn't always easy, but, if He didn't think we could deal with the challenges that go with the calling, I might be 'Mary Poppins', floating about with me umbrella.
I ask you again, please look at this face of our American Forefather. His face reflects a life of struggles.
As LGBT we've faced many of the same, except without the bows and arrows as weapons, but with the bows of bigotry and arrows of hate.
I'm proud of my Indian heritage and I'm proud to be a 'Two-Spirit'.
Our eyes present the truth...look deeply...and feel the love reflected back to you.

No comments: